About Me

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Library

Sorry, it's not finished.


It was the sound of my great dane barking that woke me up that night. A jarring sound that pierced the silent night like the siren sunlight punctures the darkness at dawn. 
    “Fred!”,  I yelled with feeble half asleep voice, “Be quiet!”
Of course Fred hadn’t learned that command so he simply ran into my room to continue his incessant barking. Groaning, I roll out of bed and walk down stairs with Fred behind me until he almost kills me as he thunders down the stairs ahead of me, obviously more excited than I to be up at 2 am.
    I make my way down the stairs just to see him barking away at the front door while jumping and running into it thinking that somehow that would open it. I sigh, push him out of the way, and humor my insane dog by opening the door.
    In my not totally awake state I wasn’t sure if I was dreaming or not when I saw what lay behind my front door; a library.
    And not just your usual library, just piles and piles of books, 6 or 7 feet high each.  There were hard back, ancient copies that looked as though they could teach you the secret of dragons right next to floppy children’s stories about the rabbit that learned to share. It seemed like the heaps had a certain organization to them though. The piles directly infront of me were all deep sea blue but as the mounds got further away the colors differed. Green, orange, and purple masses filled the entire area that should have been my front yard. 
    I start to close the door hoping that either I’m dreaming or that the whole mess will be gone in the morning but one particular book catches my eye. Nothing too special about it really just a book but it wasn’t in a pile. Sitting by it’s self looking abandoned and pitiful, I just had to go over and pick it up. Just as my hand touches the book it’s carried high into the air as winds start to pick up from nowhere and carry me up along side the book, taking the shape of a funnel. Frightened by the sudden loss of ground beneath my feet I start to frantically claw at the air as if hoping I could climb it back down until I hear my dog barking away again and I look down just to make sure he’s safe. He was but I sure wasn’t! Looking around I see that I am floating up through hundreds of different libraries. All of them had a door randomly placed within them and every so often a person would walk through one of them with an amazed look on their face. Each library looked the same as the one I had come through but at the same time each was a little bit different; different colors, books, atmosphere...

1 comment:

  1. Fred is the most hilarious dog ever! I've already commented on this story to you in person, but I wanted to give it blog-official feedback xD

    ReplyDelete