About Me

Friday, November 12, 2010

Ariel, insane, squid

My best friend and I were just goofing around, that's all. We had just gone to the beach for spring break and since she had never played the most amazing game ever that you can at the beach (under/over) we were pretty far out in the ocean so I could teach her the rules.
"If a huge wave comes we go under it but if a little skimpy one comes along we just ride over it, k?"
"Why can't we just lay in the sun and get tans?" Ariel whined.
"Because", I said irritated because this was the fifth time she'd asked, "This is fun and you can get a tan while doing it."
"That's what she said"
"Shut up."
We tried playing the game for a little longer but Ariel started to complain about the salt water getting to her eyes or something so we began our treck back to the beach. About half way back Ariel starts to screech and jump about as she had for the past hour we'd been here whenever a fish would swim over her foot or sea weed would get wrapped around her ankle. I shook it off as nothing until she started waving her arm at me and I saw that a squid had wrapped its tenticles around her wrist.
"Oh" I said blandly, not quite sure how to react.
Ariel began running around and swinging her wrist in a wild manor as if hoping to disslodge the bright blue squid.
It didn't work.
Wait...a blue squid? Really? a voice interrupted me.
Yes, a blue squid, now let me finish my story.
*ahem* That's when I began to clearly asses the situation. There was a blue squid wrapped aroud my friend's wrist, that same friend was jumping around in the ocean, screaming like a maniac, and I was simply standing there watching. This was actually a pretty hilarious situation.
That is when I made my biggest mistake. I began to laugh. And not just laugh like a normal person but like someone who has gone insane. Which is what Ariel thought when she managed to get ride of the squid by bitting it's tenticles violently until it let go. Now, judging by what Ariel had just demonstrated I would have said she was the crazy one but as she dragged me back to the shore, still laughing, I could see how people would perceive me as insane.
As soon as my feet touched dry ground my laughing stopped completely. A sudden and almost eerie stop to my hilarity.
"Well, if you stopped laughing then how did you end up  here?"
"Selena, if you want me to finish you need to stop interupting me, okay?"
Anyway...where was I?
"You stopped laughing."
Oh right, ok so I stopped laughing and at first I was confused as to why this was but then I saw it. The squid, the very one that had attached itself to Ariel, was in the sand in front of me, glaring at me. It was also saying something that I couldn't make out at first and then I realized. I realized what terrible words it had for me.
...
Well!
Well what?
What was the squid saying to you?
Oh...do you really want to know it?
Yes!
Fine, fine.
It was mouthing,
"Put me back in the water."
So, I did. I held it underwater for as long as I thought it needed to be held under for. It seemed odd that the squid was thrashing under the water and the body seemed strangly human like but I ignored that for the time being.
And that's how I got here!
So, you drowned a squid?
No, idiot, she drowned her best friend. Weren't you listening? 
What? How?
She imagined the squid and ended up taking her friend to the water and drowning her.
While my inmates talked about my story I simply turned away from them and laughed to myself.
I hadn't drowned my best friend, I had helped the squid live again. It was odd that Ariel dissapeared that day though...

3 comments:

  1. I looove this! A few grammatical errors, but the story is awesome. I forgive you for drowning me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always say there are grammatical errors and then you never tell me what they are...WHAT ARE THEY??

    ReplyDelete
  3. "About half way back Ariel starts to screech and jump..." Right there, you switched from past tense to present tense. Also, when typing dialogue, it goes "lalala," said So-and-So, with the comma inside the quotation marks. That's all I caught this time!

    ReplyDelete