About Me

Friday, May 6, 2011

Blossoming Madness VI

Andrew isn’t talking to me. I walk into Mrs. Bart’s class the next day (a dreadful Wednesday morning) and take my usual seat next to him and see that he’s put my book bag next to my desk.


“Thanks Andrew.” 


He doesn’t even turn his head to acknowledge me. What’s going on? 


“Hey, earth to Andrew!” I wave my hand in front of his face. 


No reaction. 


“Fine, if you don’t respond I’m going to start flicking you.”


I raise my hands into the starter flicking position and say, 


“No mercy.”


He just shuffles his feet away from me.


“Alright, you asked for it.”


I raise my hands above my head and start singing the Jaws music. I stop my hands just before they reach his head, giving him one last chance but he doesn’t take it. Thus begins the raid. I start rapidly flicking the top of his head and then work my way down the sides of his slightly tanned face, his neck, and onto his shoulders. Each flick hurts my fingers even more but I know I’m wearing him out. As I come to his elbows he finally reacts.


“Fiala! Please stop, I’ll talk to you, ok?”


I grin, triumphant. Score one for Fia. 


“Ok! Why aren’t you talk to me anyways?” I ask.


“No reason.” He responds while crossing his arms but turning to face me.


“Now, now,” I say grabbing a notebook and pen, “tell Ms. Avery all about it.”


I adopt my psychologist pose that I know will crack him. He tries to keep his face impartial but I can see the beginnings of a smile playing on his lips.


“I said, no reason.”


“Now how does that make you feel?”


That does it, a grin is suddenly on his face and I relax my pose. 


“Fia, that doesn’t even make any sense.” Andrew mockingly admonishes.


He scoots his desk over to reach mine and reaches into his bag for something. A pencil probably.


“So I read the seventh Harry Potter book again,” I say, “and you’ll never guess what I discovered this time!” Not waiting for him to guess I continue. 


“You know when Voldemort starts to realize that Harry, Ron, and Hermione are killing off horcruxes and he’s all, “How dare they? What cruel world is this where teenagers can go around foiling my diabolical plans? Oh woe is evil me!” so then he claims he’s going to keep his snake, Nagini, really close to him? 


I look to Andrew who is still digging around in his bag. 


“Well, it happened. So I never realized that once he decides that, he puts her in a bubble!” I exclaim, throwing my hands in the air.


I look over to Andrew and he’s just staring at me.  I think there’s something in his hand but I can’t see it even as he puts it on my desk. He looks a bit confused but he’s doing that not-blinking thing again. Why does he always do that? Maybe giving me time to see how dazzling his eyes are...


“Eat it.” He says, finally blinking.


“Your eyes?” I ask and then embarrassedly stumble over what I actually meant. 


“My...eyes?” He inquires, “No I meant the cookie.” He gestures towards the thing (apparently a cookie) on my desk.


Urg. Food. Why is he doing this? Why aren’t I asking him out loud? Why am I still thinking and not talking? Why am I thinking about thinking and no-


“Why are you doing this?” Andrew interrupts my psychological questioning.


“I, uhm, what?”


“Why are you trying to distract me with random statements about my eyes?”


“Oh, no!” I try to explain, “I was just. . . with your eyes. . . they were open. . . and pretty. . . so then. . . but. . . yeah...” I falter off.


God dammit, now he’s just staring again. He doesn’t look confused this time, though. More like...no, I must be mistaken. I have to be. No way Andrew could look at me like...well like that.


“Alright class, let’s begin.” the teacher’s voice startles us both out of our thoughts.


We both turn to face the front of the class but with a sidelong glance I see that he’s blushing.

2 comments:

  1. This is great!

    I love the awkwardness between Andrew and Fia, with Fia tripping over her words and Andrew blushing and just being generally adorable.... it's super sweet, and you really see how much they care about each other!

    ....perhaps even more than they realize....

    *cue Jaws music*

    :)

    PS - I think I'll leave the critiquing to Julie, because as always, I think your writing is perfectly stunning as it is xD

    PPS - The roman numeral for 6 is VI :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the banana and "Eat it" comment are phallic symbols, yes?

    Always watch your fruit choices. They have more meaning than you think.

    Oh, and don't change it to an apple or a pomegranate.

    The thing about not talking to her because of an outfit seems really out of character for Andrew. This is the kid who grins a ton just to piss of a teacher. He's not going to ignore the girl he likes just because she's wearing a goofy outfit.

    Oh, and it makes him seem gay and arrogant. And arrogant gay guys are not nice people nor do they like girls.

    Now, I do like how you keep their rather odd relationship going and doing it naturally. This whole flicking section is very good.

    "God dammit, now he’s just staring again. He doesn’t look confused this time, though. More like...no, I must be mistaken. I have to be. No way Andrew could look at me like...well like that; like he wants me."

    ^That should not be said. She needs to KEEP denying it. Only let your reader get it. Frustrate us a bit with her denial. (Just cut out the "like he wants me" line.)

    It's cute whenever Andrew blushes. Though, I still don't know what he looks like.

    Overall, good job. Get out the next part already.

    ReplyDelete